For the Tofu Nuggets
• ½ cup all-purpose flour (65 g)
• 1 teaspoon raw cane sugar
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 2¾ cups unsweetened cornflakes (100 g)
• 14 ounces tofu (400 g)
• 2 cups vegetable oil (500 mL)
For the Curry Ketchup
• Juice from ½ lemon
• ⅔ cup tomato paste (140 g)
• 2 tablespoons agave syrup
• 1 teaspoon curry powder
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• Sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
The Tofu Nuggets’ Preparation
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, raw cane sugar, sea salt, and six tablespoons (90 mL) water until smooth.
- Crumble the cornflakes finely.
- Cut the tofu into slices that are slightly about 12 inches (1 cm) thick, then form the tofu into nuggets with a knife.
- Coat the nuggets with batter before coating them with cornflakes.
- In a deep fryer or a small saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. (If you put a wooden toothpick into the oil and tiny bubbles float up to the top around the toothpick, the oil is hot enough.)
- Cook the nuggets for about 3 minutes in a hot pan.
- Drain any remaining oil on a plate lined with paper towels.
To make the Curry Ketchup.
- Combine all of the ketchup ingredients in a mixing bowl with three tablespoons of water.
- Toss with the nuggets and serve.