• 1 cup dried textured vegetable protein (TVP)
• 1/2 yellow onion
• 1 cup diced or crushed tomatoes, optional
• 2 Tbsp chili powder
• 1/2 t garlic powder
• 1/2 t onion powder
• 1/2 t cayenne pepper
• 1/2 t oregano
• 1 t paprika
• 1 Tbsp cumin
• salt and pepper to taste
• any other toppings you love
• taco shells or tortillas
- Place 1 part TVP in a bowl and cover with 1 part boiling water to make this. Cover the bowl with the cover and set aside for five minutes.
- Heat 1 TBSP oil in a pan while the TVP is rehydrating.
- When the pan is heated, add the onion and cook, frequently stirring, until it is gently browned.
- Toss in the chile, garlic, and onion powder, as well as the cayenne, oregano, paprika, and cumin once the onions are ready. Toss to coat the onion.
- Toss in the tomatoes. I use whatever I have on hand, which is usually sliced tomatoes, and season to taste. The tomatoes offer juiciness and taste, but you might eliminate them; in that case, add a little more water to the onion mixture when adding the TVP.
- Stir in the TVP until it is thoroughly mixed. Allow simmering for 5 minutes to allow flavours to meld.
- Assemble your garnishes.