• 3 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes
• 4 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
• 1/3 cup fresh kalamata olives, pitted and halved
• 12 ounces rotini or other bite-sized pasta
- Chop the tomatoes coarsely and throw them in a large mixing basin.
- Combine the garlic, oil, olives (if using), and basil in a mixing bowl.
- Season to taste with adequate salt and pepper. To blend, carefully stir everything together.
- Cover and set aside at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring regularly, to allow flavours to mingle.
- Boil the pasta until al dente in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the pasta to a shallow serving bowl after draining it.
- Toss in the reserved sauce, tossing gently to mix – the hot pasta will reheat the sauce somewhat.
- Serve at room temperature or heated.