For the Tempeh “Fish”
• 2 packages of tempeh
• 2 cups chickpea flour
• 1 Tbs. garlic powder
• 1 Tbs. chile powder
• 1 Tbs. baking powder
• 2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
• ¼ cup cider vinegar
• 12 oz. seltzer
• 1 Tbs. kelp flakes
• 1 cup corn starch
• Safflower oil for frying
For the Chips
• 4 large russet potatoes cut into wedges
• Cooking oil spray
• ½ tsp. garlic powder
• ½ tsp. paprika
• Salt and pepper to taste
For the Tartar Sauce
• 1 cup Vegan mayonnaise
• 1 tsp. lemon zest
• 2 Tbs. unsweetened pickle relish
• Juice of half a lemon
Tempeh “Fish” Recipe Instructions
1. Cut the tempeh into two thin rectangles by slicing it in half. Next, lay the tempeh on a cutting board, hold the top firmly with the palm of your hand and cut through it with a knife like you’re splitting apart a bagel.
2. To soften tempeh and make it less chewy, steam it for a few minutes. Then, cut each piece of tempeh into four parts, for a total of 16 pieces.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, garlic powder, chile powder, and Old Bay seasoning in a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly. Mix in the vinegar and seltzer slowly until the batter reaches the required consistency (like pancake batter). Combine the corn starch and kelp flakes in a separate bowl.
4. In a large skillet, heat 2 inches of oil. Dredge the tempeh in the corn starch-kelp mixture, shake off the excess, and then coat in batter. Re-dredge the tempeh a second time if you want a thicker, more crunchy battered coating. Fry the tempeh in batches in a skillet until golden brown, flipping once. Sprinkle salt on the pieces and drain them on paper towels.
5. Serve with chips and tartar sauce on the side while still hot. If desired, garnish with lemon wedges.
Preparing the Chips
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F and place a baking sheet inside.
2. Remove the hot sheet pan from the oven and arrange the potato wedges in a single layer on it.
3. Spray the potatoes with cooking spray, season them with the spices and return them to the oven.
4. Bake the potatoes for about 40 minutes, turning regularly, until golden brown and soft.
To prepare the tartar sauce.
1. Combine the Vegan mayonnaise and the unsweetened pickle relish in a mixing basin. Add half a lemon’s worth of lemon zest and juice. Mix thoroughly.
2. Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.