• 1 cup vegetable broth
• 2 Tablespoon cup hot sauce, plus more for serving
• 2 tablespoon vegan butter
• 2 medium-sized tofu, pressed overnight, and cut into half-inch slices
• 5 cups shredded cabbage
• 3 medium apples, grated
• 2 medium shallot, grated
• 5 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise, plus more for spreading
• 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• Salt and black pepper
• 2 (6-inch) hoagie rolls or gluten-free wraps
• 6 thick slices of tomato
- Combine the broth, spicy sauce, and butter in a medium pot. Bring the sauce to a boil, add the tofu slices and reduce to low heat to keep it warm—Cook the tofu for 10 minutes on low heat.
Take the pan off the heat and leave it aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Toss together the cabbage, apple, shallot, mayonnaise, and vinegar in your mixing bowl. Mix well after seasoning with a bit of salt and black pepper.
- In a large grill pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Drain the tofu and keep the marinade separate—Grill the tofu for about 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through, and grill marks is visible. As needed, baste the tofu with the marinade that has been set aside.
- Warm the hoagie rolls or wraps by toasting them. Spread a few teaspoons of mayonnaise on the buns or wraps before assembling the sandwiches. Each sandwich should have two slices of tomato and two slices of grilled tofu. Add slaw to taste and top with extra hot sauce if desired. Serve your guests.